Seasoned


“Mommy I am starving!!” Was the call I heard from my bedroom. There my five year old sat perched on my bed watching a movie as he clutched his stomach mimicking pangs of huger ripping through his little belly.
“Oh Mommy I am starving.” He continued. I giggled wondering where he got this dramatic streak, (for those who don't know me that was a joke.) but then it was time for my husband to chime in.
“You know hon, I am a little hungry myself.”
“Ok,” I said, realizing I was also was a little hungry.“What would you like for lunch?”
“How about bacon burgers?” He seemed to perk up as he asked. He knew that it meant I would use my newest 'toy' in my kitchen arsenal: the cast iron, skillet.

When I first acquired this new cooking implement I was actually afraid to use it. The directions were detailed on how one must “Season the skillet before use.” What did that mean? Was this not like any other pan in my cupboard? Usally one would simply place food into said pan to get it to reach a desired heat for consumption. But not this little number. I found out that if I were to try to use it without seasoning it first; my food would turn into a culinary disaster. I also could actually ruin my skillet for future use. So I sat down I read and re read the directions getting myself ready to “season” my skillet.

It seemed easy enough. First I had to coat it in baking grease, then place it in a warm oven for an hour. After that I was to wipe off the excess grease and leave it in the oven over night. This was to insure the nonstick properties of the pan. The directions then promised that after this seasoning step was done successfully everytime I used my skillet it would actually get better and better. So with bated breath I did just that. I worked the cooking fat into every inch of the pan carefully making sure every portion was sufficiently covered. I then placed it in my oven. Every once and awhile I would check on it. Waiting till that very last second of one hour ticked away I carefully removed the skillet and wiped away all the excess grease. Then placed it back into the oven to cool overnight.

Then came the moment of truth. My very first meal prepared in my freshly seasoned cast iron skillet. Let me tell you, it was marvelous. I couldn't believe the flavor that was just seared into every inch of that meal. I was in hog heaven. So then it came time to clean. Even in cleaning there were special instructions. I COULD NOT use soap on my skillet, any soap would just melt away all the work I had done seasoning. Not only that but I also had to place it back into a warm oven to dry. Towel drying was not good enough. It had to go through the fire again to retain it's non-stick quality.

I began to weigh the pro's and con's of owning this device. Unlike my other pots and pans which could go into the soapy water no problem and didn't need any extra care; this thing seemed nothing more than a pain in the neck. But then I thought of the food that was made in this skillet. Oh the tastes! How each flavor seemed magnified a thousand times. Something my husband would call “loved cooked right in.”

Then there was the non-stick quality. I had put that idea to the test when I had made scrambled eggs the other morning. It proved true! Nothing really did stick to this skillet! It seemed impervious to anything that came it's way. It was my own indestructible cooking machine. How could I go wrong? I was sold, this skillet was a keeper.

As I began to cook my mind wandered and I realized that my skillet was not unlike my own faith in Christ. When we first become Christians we are too unseasoned messes that are in need of some desperate attention.
So how does one “season” a soul? The first thing that happens is that we accept Christ. Insuring that every inch of our spiritual selves are covered with the Blood of the Lamb.


Hebrews 1:9
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy."


Revelation 7:15
And he said, "These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore, "they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them.



This oil is also a protective coating. Just as the oil keeps my pan from enemy of rust. God's armor protects us from an enemy that we cannot even see.

Ephesians 6:12-18
12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.


God then does something so amazing. He places us into the Refiners Fire. Bringing forth all the impurities that we carry with us daily. He “bakes in” His truths and promises. This step is to make us solid, He heats us and fires us into perfection. Just as a potter with His clay. Is it painful? Sure, I bet if my cast iron skillet could speak it would ask to not be placed into the oven to bake. But it is for the best, and the heat makes it all the better.

Malachi 3:3-4

3 He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the LORD will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness,4 and the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will be acceptable to the LORD, as in days gone by, as in former years.


Numbers 31:23

23 and anything else that can withstand fire must be put through the fire, and then it will be clean. But it must also be purified with the water of cleansing. And whatever cannot withstand fire must be put through that water.


James 1:2
Profiting from Trials
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, 3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience
.


Even we are warned of the “soap” that will strip away all the work God has done. God has sealed us to Him with the Holy Spirit the same way I sealed my skillet with oil. One would think soap + pan = clean. But no, it is harmful not in anyway beneficial as one would think. Would it not be easier if I were just to wash the skillet the way I do all my other dishes? Sure but then I would loose the nonstick quality and in truth the skillet could actually rust, rendering it useless. It is the same with these seemingly unimportant things are actually unwholesome deeds that can destroy us from the inside.

Ephesians 4:29-31

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

2 Timothy 2:19
Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."


It is all done for His glory after all. All of this work, all of this maintenance actually makes us better. Just like all the extra work with my skillet gives Russ that “baked in love” flavor; so does God's work within us. It reminds me of the parable of the Talents:


The Parable of the Talents
14"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. 15To one he gave five talents[a] of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. 16The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. 17So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. 18But the man who had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
19"After a long time the master of those servants returned and settled accounts with them. 20The man who had received the five talents brought the other five. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with five talents. See, I have gained five more.'
21"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
22"The man with the two talents also came. 'Master,' he said, 'you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.'
23"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'
24"Then the man who had received the one talent came. 'Master,' he said, 'I knew that you are a hard man, harvesting where you have not sown and gathering where you have not scattered seed. 25So I was afraid and went out and hid your talent in the ground. See, here is what belongs to you.'
26"His master replied, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed? 27Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.
28" 'Take the talent from him and give it to the one who has the ten talents. 29For everyone who has will be given more, and he will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. 30And throw that worthless servant outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.'


And lastly just like I was afraid to use my skillet do NOT be afraid to use your new “seasoned” self for the glory of God. After all, He put His blood, sweat, and tears into you. Why not return the favor, and the FLAVOR.


Matthew 5:13
[ Salt and Light ] "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.

No comments: