Magic in my coffee

Good morning. I woke this morn to find myself well rested and somehow inspired. The sun shone a hue brighter, the wind smelled a touch sweeter, and the coffee at my lips tasted one iota richer. I think back on the strange the series of events that have cumulated to give me such a blissful morning. I believe that it would be imperfect, or even criminal not to scribble a series of ramblings describing this odd feeling that has settled itself in my state of conscious.




Waking the way I did is almost that out of a fairytale. One of those sweet romances that at the end of the battle you find the heroine in a palace donned in royal robes; having the paupers filth scrubbed cleanly away from her body. All I could feel was a small tickle on my shoulder at first. As my surroundings came into focus I realized that it was not a feather of some majestic bird that brought me from my slumber, but the fair hair of a small boy.




There I found him snuggled at my side, his big blue eyes looking up at me. His face could not be better etched by Da Vinci, pure and perfect was this countenance before me. As I gazed in almost non belief at this beautiful creature at my side, my imaginations began to fade. First the visions that danced through my mind all night, then slowly, the sounds around me began to chase out the melody of my dream and I heard the television in the living room ranting about last nights Monday Night Football game. I was at home in bed.




"Wake up Mommy, it is time for you to wake up." said the angel at my side.

"I am awake bubba, just give me a moment."




I started to stretch, deeply. Feeling my very essence grow with each release of my arms and legs. I felt the cool sheets beneath me, the warm comforter above. I was in a cocoon of heaven. What could make me want to get out from under this awesome embrace? What could snatch me away from this utopia of blissful dreaming? Just then the small angel began to bounce beside me. As carefree and playful as he was; he was also mindful not to fall on my swelling abdomen.

"Mommy is the baby awake?" asked the curious imp beside me.

"I think so pumpkin," I answered with a laugh escaping my lips "how could he sleep with his big brother bouncing like this?"

With a smile and a hint of understanding in his eyes the wood sprite jumped down from the bed and bounded into the living room.

"Daddy! Mommy is awake." the elfish boy announced my entrance like I was royalty.




As I stepped into the living room I was greeted by the same blue eyes I woke to. True, they were older and the look that radiated from them was glinted with a hint of power and desire, not the same innocence of the small one. But from this face poured the same love that I mirrored, a small skip of my heart broke my trance as this large king smiled at me.




"Morning." a small greeting compared to the tiny but enthusiastic wake up call I was given by my very own sprite. But the sound resonated in my heart; speaking the words that needed no utterance. As I passed my monarch on the way to the bathroom, my hand grazed his shoulder. In that moment years of love flashed behind my eyes.


I smiled as I kept walking remembering our last rendezvous; had it been twenty four hours since I last felt his arms around me? I began to blush as I thought of the passion I still felt for this man. Butterflies still filled my belly everytime I looked at him I remebered vividly the time when we were courting and those feelings still consumed me, even six years later. After finger combing my hair and splashing cool water on my face I was certain that this day would be magic.




Taking my place beside him on the couch was customary, and I looked over and smiled again. Letting him know that morning discussions could commence; I was awake and lucid I was available for comments at this time.

"I went shopping this morning." the conquering sovereign lord began.

"Did you?" I quipped, knowing that he couldn't wait to show me the bounty he brought home to his kingdom.

"Yes I did" he said his blue eyes shining with pride, "come see."




Re-entering the kitchen I noticed what I had missed during my previous trip on my way to the bathroom. Grocery bags scattered the stove top, there were two litters of caffeine free soda above on top of the fridge and a small box hidden from my view.




"I bought pop and cereal. Some beef tips for dinner; but I think you may have to cut them up because they are really big honey." He started to ramble, but all I could notice is how his eyes sparkled in the morning sun that shone through our window. I was almost lost in this phenomenon until he continued with even more excitement as he got to the climax of his shopping list.

"Oh! I also got a treat for desert. Close your eyes."




I did as told playing along with his game. "OK, open them."




Whatever it is that I saw resembled a mashed up lopsided confection. It looked like it had been through the war. "Uh.."

"It's a yellow cake with chocolate icing. I know it looks really banged up," he began to explain, a look of disappointment clouding those perfect eyes. "I put it in the trunk and I guess it got tossed around a little. But hey I bet it still tastes the same." he smiled.

I chucked a little and put my hands around his neck. "It looks delicious baby. Thank you."

Those words seemed to perk him up as he removed my arms from around him. "Well it is time for me to go to bed." a flash of mischief flashed across his face; "tuck me in?"




Most of you would read this, thinking it was quiet mundane. Just the simple morning of a simple girl. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing extraordinary. But that all lies in the eyes of the beholder. It is all about perception. What do you count as your blessings? Is it your car and job, your bank account? Even these things I too thank God for. But do you also thank Him for that dirty dish? Or that sunbeam that hits you right in the face in the morning? God has given us blessings more abundant than we can comprehend. These seemingly unimportant instances are actually words of God's love letter to us all.

John 15:11
“These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.

So now as I close this for you my friends, the same blessed feeling that I felt a few hours ago continues to surround me now. This detailed description of my morning routine that is everything but ordinary, and with it a prayer that I hope it finds you well. I pray for the joy that only Christ can give to overflow; and I pray that you begin to wake up to the magic all around. That you no longer sigh through the day, just waiting for it to be over. But begin to see it for what it really is; the grand adventure of life.

1 comment:

Pastor Chuck said...

Andrea:
I believe that this is my first blog! What an honor that it should be your site!
Thank you for sending the link to this wonderful and refreshing spot. You have made my day!
I am so blessed to see the work God has done and is doing in you and Russ. THANK YOU so much for your love and commitment to your church family and to your ministry at FCC.
I look forward to future installments in "The Barefoot Believer."
Agape'
Pastor Chuck